An Italian take on butter boards featuring garlic confit, flaky chili salt, lemon zest, fresh grated parmesan, basil and rosemary. It's creamy, garlicky and has just the right amount of butter.
- 1 stick of butter (softened)
- Flaky chili salt
- Garlic confit
- Lemon zest
- Fresh basil leaves, as garnish, picked
- Fresh rosemary leaves, as garnish, chiffonade cut
For the Garlic Confit:
- 5 heads of garlic (peeled)
- The zest of ½ of a lemon
- 12 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 cup olive oil
- Salt to taste (about ¼ teaspoon)
For the Garlic Confit
- Peel all of the garlic and zest the lemon zest, using a peeler. Set aside.
- Put a medium to small sized, heavy-bottomed pot on the stove and heat on medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add olive oil to coat the bottom of the pot and add the garlic.
- Sautee the garlic on medium heat for about 10 minutes until the garlic is a beautiful golden brown on all sides. Stir occasionally and check the heat to ensure the garlic is cooking evenly.
- After the garlic is a deep golden color, add the salt and red pepper flakes. Stir to distribute.
- Add the olive oil, making sure the olive oil covers the garlic. Add the lemon zest and thyme and turn the heat down to your lowest setting.
- Continue to cook the garlic on very low heat for about 20-30 minutes or until the garlic is tender enough to easily crush with a fork.
- Store the garlic, covered in the oil, in your fridge, until ready to use.
Making the Butter Board
- Cut even knobs of butter and place in a line on your board.
- Flatten each butter knob on its sides onto your board, creating an even layer. Not too thin and not too thick.
- Use an offset spatula to create a flatten line in the middle of the butter knobs, connecting them.
- Add your garlic confit in the flatten line you created, then mash and incorporate each garlic into the butter.
- Top with flaky chili salt, lemon zest, fresh grated parmesan, the picked basil and the chiffonade rosemary.
- Pair with bread and enjoy!
MAde this recipe?
tag @offtheline_cooking on instagram!