This truffle-infused and butter enriched mushroom recipe makes the best crisp mushrooms while the essence of truffle and thyme make them hearty and full of flavor.
Before cooking the mushrooms, be sure to make the truffle butter and allow it at least 20 minutes to harden in the fridge or use your favorite store bought truffle butter.
Making the Truffle Butter:
- Make the truffle butter by placing the softened butter into your stand mixer, fitted with your paddle attachment, and mix on a low speed for about 1 minute until the butter is broken up.
- While the mixer is on, add the soy sauce and mix until fully incorporated.
- Once the soy is incorporated, slowly stream in the truffle oil, while the mixer is mixing until all the truffle oil is incorporated.
- Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, along with the paddle and mix again for about 30 seconds.
- Once the butter is mixed, transfer it to a container and chill for at least 20 minutes before using.
Cooking the Mushrooms:
- Cut the mushrooms and peel and mince the shallots.
- Put a heavy-bottomed sauté pan on the stove and turn the heat on to high. Allow the pan to heat up for 30 seconds to a minute and then add about 1 tablespoon of cooking oil, followed by the mushrooms.
- Depending on the amount of mushrooms and your pan, you may have to cook the mushrooms in two batches. Don’t overcrowd the pan or the pan will cool down too much and you won’t get a nice sauté and the mushrooms will be rubbery.
- Cook the mushrooms on high to medium-high heat for about 4 minutes, moving them occasionally to evenly brown.
- After about 4 minutes, the mushrooms will have shrunk and given off much of the liquid trapped inside them. At this point, add the salt and move the mushrooms to distribute.
- Add the diced shallots to the pan with the mushrooms and shake to distribute. Continue to cook on medium heat for another 2 minutes.
- When the shallots start to become translucent, deglaze with the mushroom stock and reduce the stock for about 2 minutes until there is barely any liquid left.
- At this point, add the chopped thyme, followed by the truffle butter, little by little, string constantly to emulsify the butter into the sauce.
- Once all the butter has been successfully mounted into the mushrooms, taste the mushrooms and adjust the seasoning according to your likings.