How to Make Garlic Confit
This garlic confit is a kitchen staple and one that will take your cooking to the next level! The garlic is sweet with a subtle umami flavor that can be used for various dishes such as risotto, bread, pastas, potatoes and more.
- 5 heads of garlic (peeled)
- The zest of ½ of a lemon
- 12 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 cup olive oil
- Salt to taste (about ¼ teaspoon)
- Before you begin cooking, peel all the garlic and zest the lemon zest, using a peeler. Set aside.
- Put a medium to small sized, heavy-bottomed pot on the stove and heat on medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add olive oil to coat the bottom of the pot and add the garlic.
- Saute the garlic on medium heat for about 10 minutes until the garlic is a beautiful golden brown on all sides. Stir occasionally and check the heat to ensure the garlic is cooking evenly.
- After the garlic is a deep golden color, add the salt and red pepper flakes. Stir to distribute.
- Add the olive oil (make sure the olive oil covers the garlic. If it does not fully cover the garlic, add more oil.) Also add the lemon zest and thyme and turn the heat down to your lowest setting.
- Continue to cook the garlic on very low heat for about 20-30 minutes or until the garlic is tender enough to easily crush with a fork.
- Store the garlic, covered in the oil, in your fridge, until ready to use.
MAde this recipe?
tag @offtheline_cooking on instagram!