This delicious and layered Ratatouille is not only beautiful but it is packed with fresh flavor! Featuring zucchini, squash, tomatoes, onions, and peppers, we put the phrase “if it grows together, it goes together” to action.
- 1 medium zucchini (sliced into rounds between ⅛ - 1/16 inch thick
- 1 medium summer squash (sliced into rounds about between ⅛ - 1/16 inch thick)
- 2 medium tomatoes (sliced into rounds about ⅛ inch thick)
- 1 medium tomatoes (cut into a small dice)
- 1 yellow onion (sliced into rounds about between ⅛ - 1/16 inch thick)
- 1 head of garlic (peeled & chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced into rounds about between ⅛ - 1/16 inch thick)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (sliced into rounds about between ⅛ - 1/16 inch thick)
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of dried Italian herb blend
- 2 pinches of red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch of fresh basil (picked and roughly chopped)
- 2 ounces of fresh thyme (picked)
- ¼ cup of capers
- The zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Salt (as needed)
- Cut and prep all of your vegetables and herbs.
- Once you have all of your vegetables cut and your herbs prepped, put a pot on the stove and add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pot. Turn the heat on to medium and allow the pot to get hot for about 30 seconds. Once the pot is hot, add the peppers and onions and cook for about 5-6 minutes or until they just start to become translucent. Add a few pinches of salt.
- After 5-6 minutes, add the chopped garlic and toast briefly for about 2 minutes.
- When the garlic starts to brown lightly, add the one tomato that you cut into small dice, followed by two pinches of salt. Mix everything together and add the dried herbs and the red pepper flakes and turn the heat down to low and cook for about 15 minutes or until the peppers and onions become tender.
- After 15 minutes, add the capers and turn off the heat.
- Preheat your oven to 375 F and grab your casserole dish or pan that is about 9”x11”.
- Build the ratatouille inside of the dish by spooning some of the sauce on the bottom of the dish, then start layering the vegetables inside of the dish intermittently, in a slightly staggered manner (I usually do three zucchini/squash-2 tomatoes-some of the cooked peppers/onions mixture-repeat) similar to as if you were building a lasagna. Season the vegetables with a few pinches of salt, a few grates of fresh lemon zest, and half of the herbs, and then drizzle some olive oil over the vegetables. Add some of the cooked pepper/onion mixture on top of the layered vegetables and repeat the process again, making a second layer.
- Once you have topped the second layer with the herbs, oil, lemon, and salt, transfer the dish to the oven and bake at 375 F for 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Allow the ratatouille to cool slightly before serving.
MAde this recipe?
tag @offtheline_cooking on instagram!