Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
With complementary bursts of fresh lemon and ginger, this jam will have you reaching into your pantry all year to pop open a can and enjoy the amazing flavors and memories of spring.
- 3 cups of strawberries (tops off and quartered)
- 3 cups of rhubarb (washed and cut into a medium dice)
- 2 cups of sugar
- The juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger (peeled and chopped)
- 2 pinches of salt
- Start by briefly washing the strawberries and rhubarb. After washing, cut the tops off the strawberries and cut them into quarters. Place them into a heavy-bottomed pot.
- Cut the rhubarb stalks into a rough medium dice so that the chunks are no larger than your thumbnail. Add them to the strawberries.
- Peel and chop your ginger into small pieces as though you were chopping garlic. Add to the strawberries and rhubarb.
- Add the sugar, the lemon juice and zest, and the salt and stir to combine.
- Put the pot on the stove and heat over medium-high heat, occasionally stirring for 2-3 minutes, or until the mixture becomes a gentle simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer, stirring often, for about 40 minutes. (The mixture will look a bit syrupy, and there will be less liquid than when starting).
- After 40 minutes, turn off the heat and cool the jam thoroughly before serving.
MAde this recipe?
tag @offtheline_cooking on instagram!