White Chocolate Mint Ice Cream
A homemade white chocolate mint ice cream that's perfectly rich, creamy and has complimentary bursts of mint that cut through the sweetness and keep you coming back for more.
- 24 ounces heavy cream
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 sprigs of mint
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 egg yolks
- 8 ounces white chocolate
- Add heavy cream, sugar, salt and vanilla to a pot and bring it to a simmer.
- In the meantime, chop the white chocolate into small pieces and add half to a heatproof bowl. Reserve the other half to add when churning the ice cream.
- Once the cream reaches a simmer, add the mint and turn off the heat. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes to steep.
- After 10 minutes, strain the mint out of the cream and pour the cream mixture over the chopped white chocolate in the bowl. Let the mixture sit for 2 minutes and then stir gently to melt the chocolate.
- After the chocolate is melted, mix the egg yolks and cream mixture together tempering the egg yolks. Do this by first adding about 1/4th of the cream mixture slowly into the yolks, while stirring constantly, then adding that egg mixture back into the rest of the cream, while stirring, until everything is combined.
- Once everything is mixed together in a heatproof bowl, heat a small pot of water to a simmer that the bowl can sit nice and securely on top of to serve as a double boiler.
- While stirring constantly, heat the ice cream base in the double boiler until the mixture reaches at least 165 F. This should take about 10 minutes and make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Once the mixture reaches at least 165 F, transfer it to another container and chill until the mixture reaches below 40 F.
- Once cooled, transfer the ice cream base to your ice cream maker and begin churring.
- Add the remaining white chocolate pieces and churn until the ice cream reaches your desired consistency.
- Store the ice cream in an airtight container in the freezer until serving.
MAde this recipe?
tag @offtheline_cooking on instagram!